Tuesday 11 August 2015

Short ravings of a pet-portrait artist.


I'm gearing up for another literary contest, polishing off one book, and thinking about another. I just thought I'd share some of the non-book-related things I've been doing lately... Because I havent been sharing anthing lately. 


For the last year, I have been a part-time pet-portraitist to earn a little extra cash. It was a rare, odd-occasion business until about three months ago, when it grew into something else entirely... 

Now don't get me wrong. I am a drawer, and I will leap at any oppurtunity to draw someones pets--especially if i'm being paid to do it--but there are a number of things you can always count on when dealing with people, and pictures, and animals... 


1) They're going to send you the blurriest, tiniest photo they have as a reference. Usually a picture taken from a distance on an old flip-top phone. 

2) It's either a tiny photo, a blurry photo, or the most impractical photo in the universe, with an animal bent into a shape that just does not convert well into a picture. It'll be your fault if it looks weird. 

3) The pictures you work the hardest on will always be the least appreciated. 

4) When you're really super busy, and you're just finishing a massive order, someone is going to send you another three requests. 

5) When you have shit-all to do, you've got no drawings to do either. 

6) You're going to get really sick of finding pencil shavings in your socks. 



Thats all. Here are some old instagram montages of un-rotated, terrible photos of pet drawings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment