Friday 11 November 2011

An ode to Chris Paolini and another chapter finished.

I can't begin to explain what finally getting this book written is like. .
Eight years worth of day-dreams, idea's, drawings, plans and a fair amount of random excerpts, are now almost a bare-bones-rough-edit-draft-of-the-first-draft. whoa.

I reached a hair-wrenching point of indecision today regarding the placement of two minor events in the space of one or two chapters... the 'one or two' being the indecisive part. Ideally it would be two -and there's definitely enough material there for two- but it's a part of the book where I really don't want to linger. .. hmm it's a thinker. Then again the previous five chapters are like AHHH (shit hits fan). Perhaps the book should drag it's bum for a few pages.. otherwise my poor protagonist is going to hit the fan also, or drop from exhaustion.
anyway.... OK a re-write of that patch may be in order (curses).

Upon realizing that I had no one to discuss this quandary with, I took off on a wee adventure. An adventure to climb the old-forestry hill, look out over Hobbiton, and generally vent my frustration somewhere far, far away from my laptop. I clambered over the debris of old felling, grass and bramble -all the while listening to epic, classical music and feeling rather brave and adventurous- then I tripped and fell on some pine cones... not so cool now are we. I proceeded to come home and make the situation (chapter/s) three times worse, drank a few cups of 'coffacino' and wrote a rather emotive speech from one character to another about good things coming from where you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment